Thursday, September 3, 2020

Barbara Sotcan's Review

 

One dull day last week I looked into my email inbox and found this review sent to me through friends by a reader named Barbara Sotcan from Sacramento, California. It instantly perked up my day!

 

Review of Tales of Ming Courtesans as excerpted from Barbara's email:

 

"Only a woman could have written this book. Only a Chinese woman could have written this book. Only a Chinese woman scholar could have written this book. I'm more than impressed with the amount of research that went into the creation of this historical novel. And I'm sure there are other scholars who might have done this amount of research. But to have that ability and also the ability to write engagingly is truly marvelous.

 

I have to confess that I had to work very hard to keep all the names straight, but I don't think I lost any threads of the story due to occasional confusion. I remain so outraged at the injustices suffered by women throughout history, and I applaud the resilience of the women in this book. I won't hesitate to recommend it to any of my more literary friends. It really would make a fantastic movie. The next best thing would be to add pen and ink illustrations, as it really is a visual feast."


Thank you so much Barbara!

No comments: