Friday, September 14, 2018

A Pleasurable Chat with Sheryl MacKay on CBC Radio Show


Yesterday, I went to the CBC Radio studio in downtown Vancouver for the recording of an interview about my novel The Green Phoenix: A Novel of the Woman Who Re-made Asia, Empress Xiaozhuang with Sheryl MacKay, the amiable and professional host of the North by Northwest Show. The interview is part of the CBC Radio's coverage of the upcoming LiterASIAN Festival.

Speaking in public has always been a bete noire of mine, not to mention this was the first time I had ever been on a radio show. My stomach was all knotted up when I stepped into the building. Then an all-smiling Sheryl came out to greet me at the reception. Her warm and friendly disposition put me at ease immediately. As we walked into the studio, she casually told me she loved my book (which almost made me swoon), and that she is a fan of historical fiction! A kindred spirit! When I was seated, she kindly offered to bring me a cup of water, as she probably could sense my nervousness. Then she told me that she didn't have a plan and that we would make it up as we went along, her smile never leaving her lovely face. So we started to chat. All through the interview, she and I maintained eye contact (through a glass divider) and she never stopped giving me encouraging signs through timely responses and body language. She just effortlessly showed herself to be one great, appreciative listener.

I've just received a note from Sheryl telling me that the interview will air on Saturday, September 15, 2018 right after the 8:00 a.m. news. Be warned that my performance is still below par, but the fault is all mine.




No comments: